DO NOT DISTURB

DoNotDisturb

Over the past 3 months I’ve been religious about using my iPhone’s Do Not Disturb feature. I have it set to activate everyday from 9:30pm until 7am. Basically, my phone doesn’t react, beep, or wake up to any sort of activity.

Do Not Disturb has been a game changer.

Maybe that sounds dramatic, but in a day and age where we are constantly connected to everything and everyone, it’s nice to disconnect on a daily basis. Even if it’s just for a few hours. Those are my hours.

Do Not Disturb doesn’t stop me from using my iPhone, laptop, etc… but it certainly helps me tune them out. It helps me focus on what I want to accomplish. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten a text or tweet to a photo or link just before bed- or while I’m mid-painting, only to find myself in the black hole of the internet 2 hours later…

This one small thing has applied to so many areas of my life over the past few months. I’ve stopped being a slave to the internet. I’ve stopped clicking on every single link with a catchy headline. I choose to spend my time in this world soaking up all the good it has to offer- and all the things that inspire me. It’s sort of like… “you are what you eat”, in a sense.

Whenever I think about things like this, my mind always goes back to a summer I spent at Interlochen. I was sitting on the floor in a ballet class, sketching the dancers as they pirouetted around the studio for my figure drawing class. The teacher was upset at a student for a repetitive mistake and said, sternly “We only have so many days on this earth, we must dance and give it everything we have before our days are gone.”.

Figure_1

Figure_2

I don’t know about you, but I want to spend my days feeling inspired. Filling my mind with the only the best while I’m dancing through this world…

On that note, I really love this article.

Posted in Fashion Illustration, Featured, In The Sketchbook | 10 Comments | Share:

10 Responses to DO NOT DISTURB

1. Emma Wilde says:

Your smart to do so. I personally find that people should most certainly tune out more often, and concentrate on the real things in life, instead of losing themselves in that oh so familiar black hole. Because once you climb out you find that you haven’t really done anything with the time you’ve spent and that brings regret. To avoid that bitter feeling, I think people should tune out more and concentrate on doing things with their hands more, or excercising, or taking on all those things taht they have planned to do, starting with the line “whenever I have the time, I will…”

2. José Cruz says:

Hello Katie.
    Long time no ‘see’… :-)

I completely agree with everything you wrote on this post… I don’t own an iPhone, but, being a Mac user, I’m very aware of how the ‘Not Disturb’ option works! It does wonders, doesn’t it? Or maybe it’s just us: I mean, maybe in an age where everything is internet-related, maybe we – humans – lost the capability of saying ‘No’. Of separating ourselves from every gadget!
    I love to take pictures: I love to develop negatives!! But it an age where digital cameras do all the hard work… you almost don’t have to go out, right?!

It’s good to feel that we have some time off, from the world! Like when we were children and had journals (I had lot’s!!). We kept our secrets for ourselves… we didn’t share them on the internet.

My older sister is a ballerina!! I remember going to her lessons, and seeing her dancing!! I grow up drawing ballerinnas! :-D Really! I can’t remember how many drawings I have of her… maybe some day I could sahre them with you.

Have a great week Katie!!!
    Keep feeling inspired: we do by your words! :-D

José

3. taiya says:

I’m rather fond of that app as well, such an ingenious invention.

Your work is so refreshing, I really enjoy it!

4. rebecca says:

,,,great minds think alike! i have used the “DND” button for many years. it’s important for me to stay focused with whatever i’m doing even if it simply means i’m dining at home, alone. 10pm-8am all the time! thank you katie for exercising your “do not disturb” button, from doing so and as a result, all your readers of your blog and followers of your instagram benefit and enjoy all your beautiful illustrations!,,,,

5. Shanda says:

Wow, I totally forgot about this feature. And must try! I am guilty of spending hours on various sites and apps, being non productive…for hours. It is truly a black hole! I will challenge myself to use the DND feature, I know I can only benefit from it. Awesome post!

6. Donna says:

you are wise beyond your years, Katie.

7. SarahBeth says:

Any prints of the figure drawings for sale?

xoxo

8. Colleen says:

Sometimes the black hole that is the internet yields the loveliest finds – like your blog. Your work is beautiful! I’m so glad I found you :)

9. Prairie Wife says:

Do not Disturb is the best invention ever, I started doing it after baby 4 was born during nap time and after the kids are in bed…it allows me some time to just read and relax (and sleep) without the beeps and hums of the tech world calling to me!

10. Jess says:

I went to Interlochen during the school year! My favorite place- next to the Metropolitan Opera House of course. Always love your art- as a ballerina/ aspiring painter, it’s a big inspiration.