CRYSTAL HANDS

Andy Espinoza and I have teamed up again to create a series of jeweled pieces (you may recall our past collaboration here).

The magic of this piece began when I went to see the Jewels by JAR Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The exhibition blew me away… standing in complete darkness, with spotlights shimmering off of precious stones in the form of flowers, animals, and other incredible creations.

Andy and I spoke of collaborating again, and this exhibit had sparked an image that I couldn’t shake from my mind. Combining jewels with his incredibly poetic oil renderings of the human form.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

I received Andy’s painting in the mail, and began layering gouache on top to bring the jewels to life (Inspired by this piece). Once the gouache was set, I applied Swarovski crystals to complete the piece.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Watch the making of video here.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Posted in Commissions & Collabs, Fashion Illustration, Featured | 10 Comments | Share:

10 Responses to CRYSTAL HANDS

1. Seraphine says:

Wow, what a beautiful idea! So gorgeous!
    LG

2. Miranda says:

so neat! i love the different textures of the oil hands with the gouache paint and crystals. really pops off the page.

3. Candy J. says:

Hey Katie,

First I want to say how much you have inspired me to learn more about Fashion Illustration. I took one of your Skillshare classes (Basic Watercolors: Learn Painting with PaperFashion) and I am so happy I did. I have a background in the Arts but have always been afraid of playing with watercolors. Now I can not get enough of it. I wanted to know do you still today find yourself taking classes here and there to learn new techniques or do you continue to just experiment on your own as a self thought artist?

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you and never stop sharing your beautiful work. =)

xx
    Candy J.

4. This is breathtaking. So was your last collaboration with Andy Espinoza. Your work is very inspiring!

5. claudia says:

You are ridiculously talented. Thank you for posting this,it is fabulous.

6. Sarah says:

Ah beautiful…

7. Elizabeth says:

Oh my gosh, this is so amazing! I was so surprised that two amazing artists that I follow on Instagram actually know each other :D Really beautiful work!

8. Emma Wilde says:

Your work is truly breath-taking. Just found your blog today and it is giving me such inspiration!

9. I love your style! It’s very soft and feminine and elegant!

Sheena Sreekeessoon