A LITTLE ABOUT ME

It feels like I’m starting the New Year a week late since I’ve just returned home to NYC. 2013 was a wonderful year full of new adventures, and fulfilling dream projects… but I have even bigger dreams for 2014!

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”
Walt Disney

I thought I’d start this year off by sharing a bit more about myself.

8_kEo-jShwAELe_qeGGh__iewaTlExnzfuRek7VBwo8,40GYoTRXW8h0VQXE5_OEUtieZn4LtL1lmZKVvJK1niQ

How did you begin illustrating?

I’ve been drawing for as long as I can remember. It’s always seemed natural to me. I first began drawing gowns as a little girl, and it quickly turned into a passion of mine! Although, I did go through a brief stint of drawing horses (I was obsessed).

Did you study illustration in college?

I did not. I studied Industrial Design in college… it was still a creative field and had a much more promising ‘career path’ than the fine arts. I never even considered being a full time illustrator back then; it was purely a hobby of passion. Luckily, I realized Industrial Design wasn’t my dream half way through school… and somehow tailored my ID degree to include jewelry, shoe, and costume design.

Katie_Interview_Photo_2

What are your favorite supplies?

I’m forever a fan of Aquarelle Arches watercolor blocks (Graine Satine), Mission Mijello Gold watercolors (very saturated colors), Winson & Newton watercolors, and Princeton brushes. See more info on my favorite supplies here

How did you come up with the name Paper Fashion?

It seemed like a no brainer. I was sketching fashion on paper… and voilá!

Have you always been artistic?

Almost all of my earliest memories have an artistic link to them. My cousins used to say I was an artist when I was just a little girl drawing with crayons. My aunt gave me a set of watercolors and taught me to use them as a young girl- something that has stuck with me forever. I’ve just always felt a strong connection to creativity. It’s what I thrive on.

Why watercolor?

Like I said above, I was introduced to them at a young age. Watercolors make sense to me… they seem like a natural extension of my mind, and so they are the method of which I choose to share my creative thoughts.

Do you think art can be self taught or something that requires lots of experience and time?

I think it can definitely be self taught. Art is something that is personal. I do think studying art techniques is ideal, just as learning the technicalities of music are important to being a great musician. There are exceptions of course, but learning the rules of a field gives you the power to break them. This is where you find truly unique work.

Desk_Katie

Was there a defining moment you knew what you wanted to do for the rest of your life?

Absolutely. I’ve always had this creative side to myself, but the moment I realized I needed to find a way to do it for the rest of my life was during my first trip to Europe. I studied fashion and accessory design abroad in Florence, Italy back in 2007, and it forever changed my world. I became so obsessed with fashion, I wanted to know everything about it. During school, usual world history classes seemed boring to me.. but my first fashion history class, I couldn’t get enough!

My fashion professor worked for Moschino when he wasn’t teaching, so I asked him if there was any chance he could get me tickets to a show during fashion week in Milan. He granted my wish, and made my dream of attending my first fashion show come true. It was QUITE the experience.

G9e9I0SQfTBAJFuVfn8UjfFxYidfec7hJeD42fagpqA,Hhf975LvErkYvf2GSmyAiu-pX5aZ4__WgppVM8EtPEM,oMeIF3PldkvNbF2GypHxlp2aEdbR_uqeTEneVE3pIgs

How has the transition from Boston to New York City been?

I will always have a love for Boston after nearly six memorable years there! I love change, and the new experiences it brings with it, so moving to New York seemed like the right step for me. It’s always scary taking new risks, but they have always been my best decisions. I don’t quite feel at home in New York yet, but I’m loving every minute that I’m here, creating a new place of memories. The inspiration here is ever flowing in both the landscapes and the people… and it’s true what they say, New York is where dreams are made.

What is the best way to stay inspired?

To never stop looking. Whether I’m traveling or in the same place I’ve always been, it’s important to look and observe constantly. You’ll be surprised what you can find with an open mind and a curious eye!

Images at desk by Ashley Weeks Cart. Outdoor images by Emma Jane Kepley.

Posted in Fashion Illustration, Featured, In The Studio, Interviews | 17 Comments | Share:

17 Responses to A LITTLE ABOUT ME

1. Ash says:

It’s so wonderful to see you sharing more about yourself on the blog. You are such a lovely, kind, talented person – and I know all your fans must be thrilled to have some more insight into all that has lead you to where you are now and where you’re headed. Thanks for including the picture :) xo A

2. Amira says:

Thanks for getting personal. This is so inspiring and transparent. It’s nice to see the beautiful person behind the many beautiful creations I’ve come across on my timeline.

Best,
    Amira R

3. Carol says:

Katie,
    I love these photos of you!!!

xoxo,
    Carol

p.s.I changed my email address, so I hope all your goodies got to you okay=0)

• paperfashion says:

They did thank you SO much. So sweet of you- and they are so cute. I emailed so that’s why you didn’t get it I guess :). thank you!

• Carol says:

You are so welcome. So happy you liked them=0)

I’m still locked out of my yahoo account…boo. I guess it is important to keep back up email up to date=0/

xoxo,
        Carol

4. José Cruz says:

Hello Katie!

I think that, to get to know you a bit more, is a wonderful way to begin the year!
    It is a growing experience to become a professional, isn’t it?
    I mean… does it look like it was ‘yesterday’ that you were still in college? I keep dreaming of when that day comes for me…
    I learned so much with some of my teachers… but a bit more knowledge wouldn’t hurt! :-D

I end every year by looking at my work: what I want to keep… trash… sell… It’s funny how you get to think: ‘Geezzz, I did all this?!?!’ (Sometimes I get to think it wasn’t much… other times I think it is too!! much!!).

Thank you for sharing this personal things with us…
    Have a great weekend!
    José

5. What a beautiful post! I always love to learn some more about you as you are such a talented artist! I love your work! :) Can’t wait for more! Maybe some random stuff?

ANDREA

6. Kay says:

Oh dear Katie, this is so lovely! Thank you for sharing little bits of yourself and your beautiful talents. It really strike a chord when you mentioned having a period in your life when drawing horses was quite an obsession. When I was a little girl I used to draw horses relentlessly almost every single day and it was quite a fascination of mine. Eventually – as I grew up – I grew out of it, and another dear subject of mine emerged: the drawing of garments, outfits and fashion accessories. Now I don’t draw any of these very often, being dedicated heart and soul to digital design, but they are still dear to my heart and I just loved to read that someone experienced something similar in their life. Again, thank you.

7. Loved learning more about you and your journey.
    Your talent is just incredible…I’m in awe of all you do.
    Thanks for sharing your talent with us–I always love
    visiting your blog and seeing your latest creations.

8. Thanks for your report. It’s very important because many people like me should be inspired in your work.
    Thank you!

9. Sabina says:

How lovely to see the face and the heart behind the brush. Great post.

10. Danielle Martin says:

This really was exactly what i needed to hear! i love hearing about your progress to where you are today, you are such an inspiration.
    Danielle! X :)

11. rebecca says:

,,,your illustrations are beautiful. thank you for sharing your world with so many of us.,,,

12. Cari Hislop says:

Thank you for letting us share your adventures! I think it’s lovely that you’re living your dreams!

13. Maya says:

HI Katie,
    I want you to know that I looked at all the posts you posted and so I loved them all!
    I am 14 years old, , and draws a lot of fashion drawings and sketches, but usually just copying the works of others, and you just gave me such a great inspiration and I started designing my own clothes and especially dresses! I began to be used glitter and other fabrics and I am so enjoying the results!
    I just thank you, and waiting to see your next posts!
    p.s.
    Sorry there might be mistakes in English

14. Furthermore having a personal interest will also serve to help you maintain your efforts since these same efforts are also serving your personal needs as well.
    Even if you are only adding a few paragraphs, try to update
    it at least every couple of days.

15. Rosetta says:

I always spent my half an hour to reead this web site’s articles or reviews all the time along with a mug of
    coffee.