SHADES OF ROSE

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 5.22.21 PM

One of my favorite local shops to visit is the Brattle Square Florist in Harvard Square. Flowers are such magnificent creatures… how can you not be inspired by them?

I picked up some roses the other day, and have been working on a few beauty and floral pieces. Watercolor is a gorgeous medium to paint layers and layers of petals…

When I finished this piece, it seemed much too plain and contrived so I went a bit nuts with glitter… It created the perfect combination of control and chaos.

2  6

What’s your favorite flower? I can never seem decide…

Original painting available here.

Posted in Fashion Illustration, Featured | 15 Comments | Share:

15 Responses to SHADES OF ROSE

1. Your work inspires me! I love it!
    You made me start back at painting with watercolors!

2. José Cruz says:

Hi Katie!
    Indeed, drawing and painting flowers can – sometimes – be complicated! It really depends of a good color palette and a good study of real flowers and how they’re color changes with light and shadow!

I really like flowers and plants!
    One of my favorite flowers are Daisy’s! Here, in Portugal, we called them: ‘Margaridas’.
    This might seems naive, but I think Daisy’s are very friendly flowers, don’t you think so? :)

José

3. Rachelle says:

This is so pretty, I imagine it framed and hanging on my walls.

xo

4. Carol says:

This is just SOOOO fabulous! I use to love tulips, but I now adore hydrangeas and roses. I just love how you paint! The glitter is brilliant. I HEART glitter too much…at least that is what people say about me;oP

XOXO

5. Erisha says:

Dahlias are always near the top of the list for me.

6. Ira says:

Awesome post! And I love your blog:)

theprintedsea.blogspot.com

7. Melanie says:

Wow! This is really pretty… very chic. I love peonies. They’re really white. They look pure. But if you look inside they have streaks and splashes of pink!

8. Natalie says:

Beautiful work! My favorite flower is the Peony. It reminds me of my wedding and I just can’t be angry and look at a Peony. It’s impossible! Ranunculus is a close second though. So girly and fun.

9. Sarah says:

Love it! Pink shades of peonies and ranunculus!

10. Andrea says:

Each one of your illustrations amaze me ! Simply stunning :)

11. Lianne says:

I’m a fan of Wisteria. When I turn 30 next year I’m after a 30 year old Wisteria bonsaii

12. this is so pretty :) I love it

13. Charlice says:

Omg I have to know..do you sell your art?? I am dead serious about this question lol. If so, let me know how to go about purchasing.

• Charlice says:

Nevermind! I promise I’m not dumb haha but I just realized you have a shop..I seen the picture on my bloglovin feed and went straight to the comments..I apologize!

14. Charlice says:

Hey! Is the original illustration still available to purchase? I would love to buy it! I posted this on pinterest I love it so much lol.