TINY DANCERS

As a little girl, I was always fascinated by paper dolls. It pains me to see so many children glued to their iPads… and not creating imaginative worlds all their own. Maybe it’s an old way of thinking, but I used to spend hours and hours creating stories and scenarios with my paper dolls… or even the most mundane things, like pebbles and sticks on a bed of moss (maybe that’s a country thing). I think much of those worlds I created as a child have stuck with me, and have allowed me to open my imagination today.

Lately I’ve been creating these paper doll marionette-style dancers (inspired by this one)… and I’m loving how they are turning out! I’m using brads to connect all the joints and make them moveable. I’ve got a few ideas of what to do with them… and I can’t wait to share it. What do you think of them, these magical creatures!?

23 Responses to TINY DANCERS

1. Love these! I loved paper dolls as a kid, too!

These are gorgeous and delicate! Can’t wait to see what you do!

2. Sara says:

Completely agree with this post. It really is so sad to see so many children stuck behind computer screens. I wish I could go back to when I was their age and all I had to worry about was what book I was going to read next and whether or not my barbie should move into a bigger shoe box…

Also, beautiful dolls! xo

3. Cari Hislop says:

I love your tiny dancers! Utterly magical!
    They look like they’re waiting for the Nutcracker… I’ll now have to go listen to
    Elton John’s Tiny Dancer and wonder what the dancers will do next.

4. jeyzar says:

reminds me of magical night with dior…. so fancy hehehe

5. Ana says:

They are gorgeous! :-)
    And as creating goes, it is not a country thing, I greatly up in Rio and I had a collection of shells (which in fact I still have) which I used to made histories about them, clustering them in families and so on.. It was a magical time! :-)

xx,
    A.

6. Dana Nicola says:

So beautiful Kathryn, inspiring me like always I must try and make some of my own!
    I love the faces, even with out features they’re beautiful! X

7. Polly bland says:

This is fabulous and I also feel
    Sorry for young and overly spoiled children. Creating your own imaginary world as a child is such a special thing…. And it’s such a release to be artistic! It’s very sad that some children will never know that feeling.

Love, Polly :)

8. Eliza says:

I know exactly what you mean. When I was little, I loved writing stories. I was never really seen with dolls or anything, always a notepad and crayons. Maybe that’s where I got my love of creative writing. But I do love me some drawing too!

xoxo

9. Kathleen says:

Love these! So pretty.

I also thought that paper dolls were the bees’ knees when I was a kid. Yours remind me of a particularly awesome set of costume history paper dolls I had once. Or maybe they were costumes from films of the 20th century. Anyway, they rocked.

10. Absolutely love these and absolutely agree with the imaginative world. I too created worlds as a child that have stuck with me thru to this very day. Children of today are definitely suffering creatively.

11. Hannah Alyse says:

I love paper dolls! My mom used to walk me down to the liquor store where they sold paper doll books as a treat. I’d play with them for days…good times. These are beautiful. I’m really enjoying all the new things you’re experimenting with :)

12. Ali says:

my grandpa made me a WARDROBE for my paper doll’s clothes out of a cereal box covered in woodgrain wallpaper! it had a little bar on the inside with lots of little tiny coathangers twisted out of wire. I think it even had two little cardboard drawers in the bottom.
    I was his first granddaughter so he got pretty into the girly crafts, he also made me a doll’s house and a kiddie sized stove!

13. These paper dolls are so incredible!!

14. Carol says:

My mother in law sent my daughter a paper doll kit/book. It’s so much fun! They also have wonderful sticker books with all kinds of themes. Yours are gorgeous and I can’t wait to see what you do with them. She would love to play with them!

15. There just beautiful, I love the illustrations.

16. Tess says:

I love your illustrations, I’ve just started to do my own and your a real inspiration, they are so delicate and lovely!

17. phyllis says:

I agree!!! about kids!!! Oh, we sure did do a lot of imagining…many paperdolls, sticks and mud :) happy times! Clover chains too…what do I think of these? GENIUS!!! My mother has TONS of old paperdolls…she loves to look at them. I love the beautiful slim legs your girls always have.

18. Legal Help says:

I’m quite interesting in this subject hope you will elaborate more about this later on articles

19. Attorneys says:

I accept as true with the author that we’d like to reveal the data there exists a tendency to achieve!

20. Attorney says:

Without doubt, Apple’s application store wins by a kilometer. It’s a huge selection of a variety of applications versus a rather sad choice of a handful with regard to Zune. Microsoft offers ideas, especially in the arena of games, but I’m not sure I’d wish to wager around the future if this aspect is important for you. Ipod and iphone is really a far better choice if so.