TUTORIAL 8// MASKING FLUID

Today I’m going to show you how to create white line drawings like these…

I used this masking fluid pen, and drew on the areas I wanted to stay white. After it dried (only takes a few minutes), I went over the areas I wanted to color with watercolor. After I finished painting, I let it dry, and then rubbed the masking fluid off (similar texture to rubber cement) with my fingers. Viol√°!

Here, I used it for details… it’s great for polka dots and stripes. The masking fluid is on the blue tinted areas.

SEE!¬† It’s simple. Plus, there are a million different things you can do with it. Go on and try it- I would love to see photos!

Posted in Fashion Illustration, Tutorials | 8 Comments | Share:

8 Responses to TUTORIAL 8// MASKING FLUID

1. Andreina says:

Thank you for this tips… I would try this out and see what comes out. I usually use jelly pen, but this look better.

2. Super pretty… I love these! And your hot pink tape! <3

3. anto says:

I love masking fluid and all the great stuff that you can create with it but I had no idea it came in the shape of a pen. So cool!

4. Olivia says:

White or clear birthday candles are cheap and work great for that too!

5. Tara says:

beautiful work! i read your blog daily and i am always inspired!

6. Melinda Brown says:

Hi Katie, have you used masking fluid such as Winsor Newton? If so, is the Masquepen easier to apply? I’ve tried using the more traditional fluid and it always goes so clumpy before I’ve finished applying it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

7. Emily says:

Hey! You totally inspired me to start using masking fluid again! I wrote about it on my blog and shared some photos of how I used it if you wanted to see? Keep up the great work. http://emilyproud.blogspot.com/2012/08/masking-fluid-how-to.html

8. Pingback: Behind the Scenes | factor124