VASES ILLUSTRATED

Last week I llustrated a photo of some vases in my studio (Left to right: IkeaDWR, vintage)… Then went a little nuts with my neon pink highlight pencil

Have you guys tried using highlighter pencils to sketch (like I did here)? I just ordered all the colors here, so expect many more neon sketches soon!

Have a colorful weekend!

Posted in Fashion Illustration, In The Studio | 7 Comments | Share:

7 Responses to VASES ILLUSTRATED

1. José Cruz says:

Hi Katie!!!
    I really need to try some neon pencils!!
    There’s a few pencils I use (sometimes) that have a metallic (chrome) effect to the drawings! I use this – lovely – brand, that you can find in this – lovely – place: http://www.pencils.co.uk/product.aspx?mid=720
    Let me know what’s your thoughts on these, though Twitter!
    Ciao! :)

2. Sarah Steele says:

Really loving that background! Since you’re a freelancer that works from home, I was curious if you have a set schedule/routine for creating or working or both? I’m a graphic designer that works from home and I’m always curious what works for other creatives. Thanks!!

3. Elizabeth says:

Always love your work! You have such a wonderful talent.

Cheers, Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

4. I just adore this illustration! The idea of using neon for the shadows is gracefully clever! I admire how creative you are, you always continue to inspire me, in my artwork, decor, and really just how I live :) You helped bring back that creative spark I’ve been so desperately searching for since I had my son Logan in April 2011.

I work from home, and as @Sarah Steele asked, I too was curious if you have created any sort of set schedule/routine for creating or working (or both!) I’ve been thinking about doing so for myself. I think I would accomplish more and develop myself more if I did. With a little (well, big) 15 month old running around it’s easy to get sidetracked!

I was also wondering, how do you create such a lovely gold color? Do you have any tips for blending, like, which colors you used? Or do you use an actual gold paint over/under the watercolor? I love gold almost as much as I love neon and would love to know your way of doing it! It came out great! Thanks, Katie!

5. Steph says:

I haven’t yet, but I JUST received my order for the tomboy irojiten vol 7 – 9 (seascape) that has a whole line of neon pencils, and they are crazy gorgeous. :)

This is the link to the tombow us site:

I got it for almost half ($45) that from the usartsupplies seller on ebay.

Cannot wait to get started on those, and your illustration above is definitely motivation. :)

6. Seraphine says:

So sweet. I like the color, the flower and all !
    GL