New Adventure

This quote sums up how I feel perfectly.

As most of you know, I’ve been working at Reebok as an apparel designer since I graduated college back in 2008. It has been nothing short of amazing, and I definitely couldn’t have asked for a better job… truthfully.

However, last week I took my own advice and I quit my job.

Yup… put in my two weeks, packing up my desk, and this week will be my last.

It hasn’t really hit me yet. Until I wake up next Monday morning and realize I don’t actually have to go anywhere (or have a boss)… it will remain surreal.

It was a tough decision, but one I’m confident about. I am passionate about illustration and design… and what was once a hobby, has quickly become my career… so it’s time for me to take it on full steam!

Although, exciting as this is it also brings on a scary… and nervous feeling. I’ve given up the comfort of a corporate 9-5 job, and biweekly paycheck (YIKES)… but again… I’m super confident that things will work out. and if they don’t… at least I gave it a shot, right?!

My dreams sure do scare the hell out of me sometimes.

Anyway, I can’t wait to start putting my all into Paperfashion! It’s going to be an amazing year, and I definitely have my work cut out for me.

Thank you always for your support and love! It means the world to me.

and to my Reebok Squad… I’m going to miss working with you SO much. Thank you for being the biggest supporters of my ‘secret Paperfashion life’. I don’t think many employers would openly cheer me on like you did. I’ve been so fortunate to meet and work with such talented people. It’s been a pleasure, and I’ll never forget how awesome these years were. Oh. and luckily, we can still hang out.

Cheers to new beginnings!

30 Responses to New Adventure

1. Alana says:

Congratulations- that’s amazing! Best of luck to you :) PS- just got my calendar in the mail and am so excited to post it over my desk.

2. Welcome to my world! Congratulations – it’s all worth it. Promise! x

3. Yen says:

How exciting – congratulations! I made the same decision 6 months ago and haven’t looked back. Yes, it’s a bit scary + daunting sometimes but in the end, the day is yours and you work even harder knowing that it is. You’re so talented, it’ll all work out. Cheers :)

4. Wow! That takes guts – congrats to you!!! So many people (myself included) dream of taking that leap, but few of us (myself included again) actually do. I hope to someday though. Wish you well!

5. Atiyeh says:

I am so proud of you. you are defiantly an inspiration. Congrats and best of luck :)

6. Noëlly Sam says:

Wow! Welcome to the exclusive club of the fearless Katie. This is never an easy decision to make, but I am sure you won’t regret it. Looking forward to all your future projects and working with you again.

All the best. xoxo

7. Jennifer says:

Congratulations! Been a fan of Paper Fashion for years And I can’t wait to see the amazing opportunities that this year has in store for you! :)

8. donna says:

Make it happen, don’t regret the past and don’t dread the future, live each day…each moment to the fullest and MOST OF ALL do what you do best and enjoy doing! Life is good!!

9. anne m bray says:

good for you! I wish you great things.

10. teresa says:

Go for it! One day I’ll do just that ;) Wish you good luck!

11. Wow! What a way to live your dreams. Thanks for sharing the quote and your leap. I know I love what you do. Good luck.

12. Hogger & Co. says:

Bravo to you! To infinity and beyond!

13. Fantastic! Good luck and post lots about your efforts! :)

14. Normally I ‘silent read’, but felt compelled to comment on this one to give you a huge high five!!

And couldn’t agree more with the quote above. I’m constantly reminding myself of this same motto (and have blogged about it), and it’s what made me pack up everything and move to the other side of the world with just a hope and a dream. I honestly think the scariest decisions also prove to be the most rewarding ones in life. And somehow, the things that are meant to be always have a way of working out (and if not, you can always go back to a ‘regular’ job but know you at least gave it a go).

Sending you all the very best, and a huge smile for taking the chance and following your dreams!

Briony xx

15. Mimi says:

Good for you! I wish you the best of luck. :)

16. Tasha says:

you’re amazing! in person and via web!! your energy is SO positive and you are SO knowledgeable..I can go on and on but you got this shawty!! no sweat

17. Elisabetta says:

Congrats for your choice! Last year I did the same, I quit my job at a Fornarina Store to dedicate my time for my passion, Graphic Design and help my boyfriend with his studio Kino Concept. My old job is still in my heart, and one day I hope I join fashion with Graphic Design, I know that I can do it!

18. The Boston Fashionista says:

This is so exciting! I firmly believe that you don’t get great if you don’t take (calculated) risks. Good luck with your new step- I know it will be amazing.

19. sarah says:

wow, well done you!! That is such a brave step but one i wish you the very best of luck with, though I’m sure you won’t need it you’ll do just fine :)

I’m somewhere in-between trying to work for myself and looking for work as my job finished a few months back. I guess I am working for myself really between running the blog, clothing alterations and trying to design/make clothes to sell. I just feel a little scarred in making it official to friend and family in-case I fail but then we all have to take risks and your quote rings very true to me at the moment too!

20. Congrats, Katie! I was wondering when this was going to happen C:

I hope to follow in your footsteps come April when I graduate.

21. I have been following your work for some time now and I have always loved it. I am so happy for you. You will officially be: Living The Dream. What a wonderful way to start the new year. Cheers to a fabulous and successful 2012 for you and Paperfashion!
    xx Jen

22. suubi says:

I am so thrilled for you!! I am a huge but silent fan!! So rooting for you :-)

23. monica says:

congrats!!
    btw the illustration i would totaly buy,, where can i get my hand on it?

24. Pingback: New Adventure @paperfashion | K.S.Y.W.B.C.

25. Kara says:

Congrats! I’m so excited for you! Cheers to a great 2012 and successful future!

26. Pingback: » YEAR THREE PAPERFASHION

27. Pingback: PaperFashion

28. Pingback: If your dreams don’t scare you, they are not big enough… | betsyfied

29. Pingback: PAPERFASHION

30. Thanks a lot for posting this you rescued us a a lot of open use this hint!