TUTORIAL 1//THE GOOD STUFF

1/NEON GOUACHE | 2/WATERCOLORS | 3/GLITTER | 4/GLUE PEN | 5/INK PEN | 6/BRUSH | 7/WATERCOLOR BLOCK | 8/KATE SPADE

After all the emails… I’m finally letting you in on my secrets!!!

I’ve tried a million different brushes, papers, etc… and these are my go to’s for illustrating. Aquarelle Arches watercolor paper blocks are my absolute favorite (and that packaging is super nice). Just make sure you get Hot Pressed, Grain Satiné- especially if you want to scan your image without all those bumps showing up!

Oh… and of course we need a fancy Kate Spade mug pen holder…

if you’re interested in learning more you can check out my two online classes available now:

how to create fashion illustrations

the basics of watercolor

Posted in Fashion Illustration, Tutorials | 10 Comments | Share:

10 Responses to TUTORIAL 1//THE GOOD STUFF

1. Rodney says:

This is a great idea for a post. Really like it.

2. miranda says:

This is so helpful! What a great idea to share this with us. Thanks!

3. rhomany says:

I’ve often wondered what you use to stick glitter on. I use gel medium and a fine brush myself, which is fine for desk work but not so much for out and about stuff. A glue pen would never have occurred to me, even though I own a couple. I’m adding it to my travel journaling kit right now!

4. Marc Johns says:

Nice choice of materials! I’ve got a Cotman watercolour set that I’ve used for ages, mostly for on-the-go painting, and Pigma Micron pens are THE best. I’ve also had the same scanning problems! I hate those little bumps that are invisible to the eye, but jump out in a high-res scan. I’ve recently switched to Bristol – the watercolour takes to it differently but I love drawing on the smooth surface.

5. Thanks for sharing this!! I didn’t knew this paper, I’ll try it!

6. Danielle Malmgren says:

so helpful!!! Could you recommend a good scanner to scan illustrations/paintings? I am never happy with the results of my HP. Thanks so much.

7. Pingback: » PAPERCOLOR PAPERFASHION

8. Pingback: PAPERFASHION

9. Pingback: PAPERFASHION

10. Gloria Jensen Lesher says:

I really benefited from your tutorial and hope to give it a try. Thank you!