Ernst Troeger

This is Ernst Troeger, my Great Grandfather (German). The past few weeks my Uncle has been sending me pictures he found from my grandfather’s collection of photos. I’ve heard stories about Ernst, but it makes it all so real to see actual photos.

Ernst was an illustrator (started the advertising firm Phillips & Troeger), who went to the Chicago Art Institute back in the day… and then brought himself to NYC. He was friends with the famous illustrator Norman Rockwell- and used to go fishing with him. These photos and stories are amazing to me… especially since this particular picture is exactly what I do in my own studio everyday. It’s crazy to think the process of illustrating is still so similar to how it was so long ago. It’s very refreshing to know there is still a job today (in this technology crazed world) that is not too far from the way it was in the past. It’s also pretty cool to know I’m so similar to my ancestors!

This is Ernst (far left) and a bunch of other artists smoking pipes around a fire. I love the pictures on the wall behind them… this photo is amazing!!

This is Ernst painting when he was older, and after he had started the advertising/illustration firm- Phillips & Troeger. The painting is incredible… and so strikingly similar to what I do in some ways. White background… with a character/girl! It’s also looks like a Norman Rockwell… doesn’t it??

These photos are beyond inspiring to me- I had to share. It would’ve been so cool to meet this guy…

34 Responses to Ernst Troeger

1. Katie, I know I say this ALL THE TIME but you’re so talented! It’s amazing. That picture of the photograph is GORGEOUS! One you’re willing to sell/recreate?

2. blockhead says:

that’s is so cool… I love this.

3. Alex says:

Beautiful story and images – thank you…your talent is invaluable to the world!

4. Aimee says:

Well it is obvious where you get your talent! You are very lucky to have such interesting history! Love the pics!

5. Poodle Dabbert says:

how amazing.. & yet, not amazing that u have so much talent!
    do you feel he’s aware of what you do? What a wonderful legacy he’s left by passing on his creativity to you! It reminds me of the PBS show about researching your family tree and how inspiring it is to “know who you are and where you came from” ! Congrats on gett’n this valuable information.

• paperfashion says:

Thanks! It is so amazing I got this information… my Grandfather was really into photography and scanned/ organized everything from his past and our ancestor’s history before he died. So so invaluable…

6. Pingback: Tweets that mention Ernst Troeger « PAPERFASHION -- Topsy.com

7. WyattCoke says:

Absolutely astonishing! Love the family story! Potent!

8. sara says:

cool story and your portrait of him was amasing!

9. it’s Amazing!!!!!You are totally artist!!!so talented!!!!

10. maya says:

Everytime I look at your blog I am amazed. You have so much talent, as did Ernst. Great pictures, great posts, great blog!!

11. Natália de Oliveira says:

Amazing, I loved it. All the photos are so beautifull.

12. Svitlana says:

This is an amazing story. My grandfather was an artist and used to sell his paintings, but I never got to meet him since my parent’s are divorced and dad left when I was 1yo. First and last time I saw dad was when I was 16, that’s when he told me about my artist grandpa.

13. e says:

love this post! the pictures of your great grandfather are amazing :)

14. Frances C says:

I think you should try to paint the picture that your grandfather is painting! It would be so cool to compare your great grandfathers work to your own (And I would love to see the comparison)

15. great family history. My mother was a fashion illustrator in NY and LA and her mother was a dressmaker and hatmaker in Iowa. It is in the genes for sure and I follow in the tradition as you do. Love your drawings. I also have a blog on wordpress.

16. Michael McKinley says:

I bet you he would be proud, you do beautiful work.

17. Charmaine says:

Wonderful story! That tells everything that your art is deep in your family.Hnaded down to you of the wonderful talent of an artist! Artist express and show their talent on paper.To show all the beauty and style natural born talent in stilled in your grandfather to you.This is how art will continue and paper fashions as well.I use to see fashion illustrating for Nan Duskan, Bon Wit Tailor and Lord in Tailor in the Philadelphia Inquier on Sunday.That was in the 80`s.This type of fashion illustration cannot never go away.You inspire the art to continue and others with art talent in drawing to create .Wonderful story.

18. amy says:

Wow! What amazing pictures!!! How lucky for you to be able to see them. It’s got to feel good to know this talent and urge you have to draw, paint & create is in your bones! Thanks for sharing :)

19. RULYMUSE says:

that sketch is beyond perfect…. it look exactly like the picture……great

20. Pingback: HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY! « PAPERFASHION

21. Pingback: PAPERFASHION

22. Cynthia Pape says:

Is this the Ernst Troeger that was married to Hedwig Sophie Behr? If so, we are related :)
    Cynthia Pape

23. Pingback: ENCHANTED FOREST | PAPERFASHION

24. Pingback: MUSICALLY INCLINED | Paperfashion

25. Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.

Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

26. Thanks for the information about Ernst Troeger. I’m not sure if you knew, but Phillips & Troeger created artwork for paperback covers… well, at least one that I know of. I thought you might be interested in seeing it. A great cover for Jealous Woman by James M. Cain.
    The website url above is a link to my scanned copy on flickr.

Regards,

Steve

• Cynthia Pape says:

Ernst Troeger was my Great Uncle. His sister Anna was my grandmother. Do you have any other information on them? I am doing a tree for my children.
      Thank you.