DesignLoveFest Illustrated | Video

I’ve been talking about a video demo of my illustrations FOREVER… and finally got it up :). This one is of an illustration I did a while back of my friend Bri from DesignLoveFest. I started the video after I had the base layer down… so it’s not a complete demo, but you get the point!

Some people have been asking me what I use to make my illustrations, so thought I’d add it to the post.

Arches Aquarelle Watercolor Blocks: LOVE this paper… and wouldn’t use anything else (the packaging is super cool too!). I know traditional watercolor paper has a rough texture to it, but I hate it. I stick with Hot Pressed finish (grain satiné). It’s super smooth and gives the illustration a clean look (which is great for scanning…).

Winsor & Newton Watercolor Travel Set: My favorite watercolors, in a small container :). I don’t travel much with my watercolors, but I love how tiny and compact it is. Keeps things much simpler.

Robert Simmons Sapphire 1/4 Angle Shader: My absolute favorite brush/size to work with. I know alot of watercolor artists change their brushes for different techniques/ size details, but I don’t really fuss around with that! I prefer to just use one brush for the entire thing. That’s why the angle shader is great, since it has a wide set of hairs, as well as a thin point to work with. Of course, this size brush is best for smaller paintings.

Marvy Uchida Le Pen: These pens are awesome. Super simple, with a fine tip. I use these when I’m finished painting to add lines and detail to the illustration.

**Thanks to Elsie for helping put the video together!!
***Music: Brazil by Deadmau5
Posted in Fashion Illustration, Tutorials, Videos | 20 Comments | Share:

20 Responses to DesignLoveFest Illustrated | Video

1. That was fascinating. I’d love to see you put down the final outline as well. I’m really surprised you use such a small flat brush. I use one of those bigish pointy ones. What kind of paper do you use? I would be terrified to put that much paint on Parsons Paper but I can’t find anything else I really like. Watercolor paper seems too bumpy and I don’t like how it takes the outline.

2. Reyni says:

so wonderful!!!!! i love it!! amazing!!

3. Alex says:

Thank you so much for posting – it’s lovely to see! I also appreciate that you posted about your materials. Very inspiring!

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
    Alex

4. ameliagrace7 says:

This is so amazing! Can you do more of these?

5. Pingback: Tweets that mention DesignLoveFest Illustrated | Video « PAPERFASHION -- Topsy.com

6. zyra says:

yay! A video of your illustration
    I can never paint details like the lips with a brush
    you’re so amazing.. I’m inspied XD

7. Shekhar says:

nice n interesting,…i feel like go n open my old water colour box and start painting,…sure will make one this sunday…thanks

8. Guyom says:

Thanks for listing your favorite materiel! :) Great work!

9. Pingback: Paper Fashion, um video tutorial de ilustração | Pristina.org | Everything Design

10. julie says:

god, you’re talented! more of this! :)

11. Pingback: DesignLoveFest Illustrated | Video (via PAPERFASHION) « SoO Ambitious's Blog

12. Maria says:

I can’t believe it looks so easy! Your paintings are such a great inspiration to me, they even got me finally learn to paint! I’ve always been more of a sketching type, but these got me trying something I used to hate and now painting is becoming my new passion :)

And btw, it was very nice to read about your family having the same skills, my own grandpa used to be an artist and he was specialized in aquarels. I never got the point in it, but now you’ve helped me to find something for me in the same technique. Now I’m just trying to remember what grandpa used to teach me when I was little…

Thank you for sharing this video!

13. Pingback: it’s friday, i’m in love « i'd rather be shopping…

14. Pingback: The Weekend Wrap «

15. Pingback: PAPERFASHION

16. Reyna Lay says:

Wow, this was amazing, I shared it! btw: can you make more of these! loved it! Also, was the model standing in front of you as you drew?

17. Elise says:

Wow this is amazing! It would be so great if you could post more videos like this.